June 29, 2012

What Satan Intended for Harm God Used for Good


I thought my days of being bullied would end when I graduated from high school, but apparently that was not the case. Through my years of life experience, I have learned that spiritual warfare is alive and well on planet earth. I define spiritual warfare as God's angels coming to the aid (through speaking God's Word and prayer) of God's children (believers) as satan and his fallen angels attempt to destroy our lives.  

Ephesians 6:11-13 (NLT)

Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.

I like the way the Message translation words it. It says:

Ephesians 6:10-18 (The Message)

God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

 Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

Satan and his demons watch and study us very closely. They know what pushes our buttons. They know what hurts us the most and they will use people and circumstances to attack us.

1 Peter 5:8 (NLT)

Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.

I read a book called “The 5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman." In it I learned that everyone has their own love language and they use that love language to communicate their love to the people in their lives. The problem with that is, unless the other person has the exact same love language it will not be received as love. 

Finding out someone else’s love language gives you the ability to communicate your love to the people in your life in their love language so they will be able to receive it. At the end of the book there is a test you can do to find out what your love language is. There will sometimes be 1 that is dominant and sometimes there are 2 or 3 that are very close which would mean that you have more than 1 love language (you are bilingual). Once you read the book you can often figure out what other people’s love languages are if you hang around them long enough. 

The 5 love languages are:

1.   Touch
2.   Acts of Service
3.   Gifts
4.   Quality Time
5.   Words of Affirmation

Here is a link to the website where you can take the quiz if you are interested. 

When I did my love language test, Quality Time was at the top at 10 points with Words of Affirmation right behind at 9 points. The rest were much lower (5,3,5).

When you receive the exact opposite of your love language, it hurts even more than usual because it's your love language. For example, if your love language is touch and your spouse (or parents) never hug you or put their arms around you, it hurts a lot, but if your love language is gifts and your spouse (or parents) shower you with gifts, you aren’t going to care as much that they don't hug you.

So quality time and words of affirmation are my love languages. Words of affirmation are kind words that make you feel good about yourself, compliments. When I receive the opposite of my love language (words of affirmation), for example, if someone calls me names, belittles my existence or threatens me, then it hurts me twice as much because it is one of my love languages.

With that being said, satan and his demons began attacking me with the opposite of words of affirmation through some bullies in high school. After graduation they used the same amo through a relationship I was in with a guy, then through a really bad boss, then through my niece and just in May 2012 through my tenant. I was renting out my basement suite to a guy.

He was late paying his rent for May so I put a reminder notice on his door. When he came home and found the notice he became very angry. He knocked on my door and when I opened it I could tell by reading his body language that he was really angry before he ever spoke a word. He proceeded to raise his voice as he hurled insults, belittled my existence, made up lies and threatened me. It was clear to me he had no intention of paying his rent. I tried to remain calm at least outwardly while inside I just wanted to curl up into the fetal position and hide. 

The same feelings of fear I used to have while being bullied in high school, in a past relationship, etc., returned. Near the end of the conversation I could not take it anymore. Unfortunately, in a moment of weakness I stooped to his level and hurled some of my own insults back. Of course, none of mine were nearly as nasty as his, but still I was disappointed in myself for not responding in more of a Christian way. It was clearly another attack from satan using the exact same amo. 

Matthew 5:43-47 (The Message)

 "You're familiar with the old written law, 'Love your friend,' and 'Hate your enemy.' I'm challenging that. I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.

My point is, we are all only human and we will never behave perfectly at all times, but if you have the Holy Spirit living inside your heart then He begins to change you little by little. The old me (before I came to know and love Jesus) would have responded a lot worse.

None of us can behave better for any length of time without God, BUT with Jesus by our side and with the help of the Holy Spirit we will begin to change as we surrender our will and plan for Gods.

So the next time you behave in a way that you regret, I don’t want you to beat yourself up about it. Apologize to the person and bring it to God, repent (means you're sorry and you have no intention of repeating the same action). If you haven’t yet invited Jesus into your heart then do so and ask Him to help you. He will. If you want help inviting Jesus into your heart and life just ask and I would be happy to help. 

Now for the best part of the story, immediately after this horrendous conversation my aunt shows up at my door. She tells me that she was on her way home when she heard God telling her, “Go check on Rowena, Go check on Rowena.” I was so glad she heard God and obeyed because I REALLY needed someone to talk to at that moment. 

When she told me that God told her to check on me I cried because I knew at that moment that God saw the whole ugly event take place. He saw someone picking on His girl (that would be me) and He sent reinforcements to help me when I needed it the most. In THAT moment I tangibly FELT how much God loves me and it felt so amazing I can't even put it into words.

Satan came at me with the same attack that he has hit me with through other people many times before; one that he knows leaves me shakin’ in my boots. But it totally backfired on satan because God took what satan intended to hurt me and He turned it into something good.

Genesis 50:20

As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good…
Now, instead of thinking about how horribly unfair I was treated and getting upset and mad, anytime I think about it I can’t help but smile because all I can think about is how God used that situation to show me how much He loves me. J
God's love is so pure (limitless, immense); it is so much greater and far more powerful than any love you will ever find or experience here on earth. God does not play favorites and He loves you just as much as He loves me. He is waiting with open arms for you to turn towards him and run into his welcoming arms. Only you can make that choice; no one can make it for you.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this post, Rowena.
It was what I needed to hear at this point in my life. May God continue to bless you to write and inspire others.
Vee

Rowena said...

Thank you for sharing your feedback Vee. It means a lot to hear. May God bless you as well.

Anonymous said...

This is so very awesome truth from God. Been going through some intense spiritual warfare for sure. Thanks.

Landon Jackson said...

Awesome word Sis , God is so Good in His grace and mercy , mmm mmm mmm , Praise Jesus